Roots uses large group instruction daily during both Habits of Success and core academic content time. Habits of Success coaches provide this type of instruction in an advisory-type setting each morning, believing that social-emotional learning is best practiced and learned when students are interacting with their peers. This dedicated time also has the additional benefit of providing coverage to the Academic Content teachers who are busy lesson-planning. Later in the day, Academic Content spend roughly 1/3 of their time providing large group instruction to heterogenous groups that are created based on benchmark assessment data and modified every 6-8 weeks.
Roots Large Group Instruction in Room
- Attends large group instruction based on their schedule.
- Participates in large group instruction.
- Possibly provides peer support or modeling in heterogeneous groups.
- Guides students through social emotional learning with Habits of Success instruction.
- Thoughtfully determines student groups based on data analysis.
- Delivers appropriate academic content to large groups based on skill level.
- Administers formative benchmark assessments every 6-8 weeks.
- Provides easy-to-read data to determine student groups.
- Provides scheduling coordination for teacher and student.