Independent learning time, a core part of Pleasant View Elementary's instructional approach, is not without its challenges. As each student is working at their own pace, predicting when a student will need to be assessed is difficult. In order to meet individual needs while not disrupting instructional time, Pleasant View created a simple solution: students who are ready for an assessment will write their name and the title of the assessment on the board. The student can continue on to a new learning objective and, at the next break in instruction, the teacher checks the board and provides assessments to students who need them.
- Writes their name and the title of their assessment on the board when ready for assessment.
- Continues working on their Personalized Learning Plans until the teacher has released the assessment to them.
- Reviews the assessment signup on the board in between instructional moments.
- Releases assessment to students when appropriate.
- Provides coursework the student can pursue independently while waiting to take the assessment.